James Johnson

Default Lead Shot needed

It's hard finding lead keel casting information. If you don't mind what did you
use to melt the lead? Used iron bathtubs seem to be unavailable where I live
and I was thinking of having a 2'by 2' steel box made out of 3/16 or 1/4 plate.
I was also wondering if renting a couple of propane burners that use the common
18 pound tanks would be enough. Any suggestions about this plan?

I am restoring a 43 year old Dutch built 26' sloop. It has a 1200 pound iron
keel and 650 pounds of inside lead ballast. It is a keel centerboard design and
the keel is in rough shape and keeping it from rusting in salt water I think
would be an unending chore (the centerboard slot is the source of most
problems).

If I replace the iron with a lead keel of identical dimensions I could eliminate
the inside ballast and not have to deal with rusting. The inside ballast was
added by the designer ( I suppose after complaints about tenderness) and is
penciled in on the factory plans.

JJ

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:55:02 -0400, "Kevin Fitz-Gerald"
wrote:

"mike worrall" wrote in message
om...
I've discovered a few sites on the 'Net selling 25lb bags for $15, but
am hoping that the assembled brain-trust can suggest a less expensive
option.

Mike, try going to a trap range. If you explain what you want it for, they
may let you collect all you want for free. There is a local sportsman's
club that has a range and you can go out and scoop up handfuls (or shovel
fulls) of mostly #8 shot. You will get some dirt and debris mixed in, but
that can be sifted out fairly easily if it bothers you. Mixed with a little
epoxy, it makes a great slurry that will flow just about anywhere. Good
luck.

Regards,
Kevin Fitz-Gerald
"Have ShopBot, Will Create!"

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply