Ron Magen

Default Barrier Coating a fiberglass hull....

Courtney,
I noticed most of the answers to your query focused on 'blister repair'.

I didn't {and still don't} have blisters. My idea was to 'prevent' them, and
to 're-enforce the gelcoat 'skin' of the underwater component of the hull.
First, I applied some thin glass cloth to selected areas that I thought
might need protection from 'impacts'. I then applied 3 coats {about 15
mils} of epoxy . . . the last coat with WEST's 'Barrier Coat Additive'. I
then applied two coats of Pettit's 2-part 'Barrier Coat' . . . adding the
blue 'tint' to the last coat {as a 'flag'}. I then applied Interlux's
'VC-17' bottom paint.

I have since removed the VC, applied a 'Hard, Modified Epoxy' by Pettit,
removed that, and am now using the West Marine 'house brand' ablative . . .
because now she is kept on a mooring. After all this, the bottom is still
'smooth & solid'.

My personal feeling is that the time to apply a 'Barrier Coat' is BEFORE
the first time you apply paint. For what it's worth, I'd call Awlgrip and
see what they recommend. My 'gut' tells me that if the bottom is intact
after 5 years, the best thing may be to simply apply an ablative
anti-fouling and carefully inspect it every year at haul-out. Then give
another coat to replace what has worn away.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
What is the difference in the following paints for the optimal barrier
coating for a fiberglass hull:

1-one part epoxy

2-two part epoxy

3-LPU

4-somethin' else

What would be the most effective sequence for barrier coating for a boat
that has had nothing done beyond Awlgripping [over 5 yrs ago] ?

Appreciatively,

Courtney Thomas

--
s/v Mutiny