William R. Watt

Default newbie buiding a catamaran

"Matthias Broersma" ) writes:
hello everybody,

how do you suggest me to build a catamaran of about 3meters long that will
be used with remotecontrol for monitoring.

plywood is cheap, strong, simple to work with, and quick to build.

i was thinking about a wooden shape covered with some kind of fiberglass ...
but i dont know what wood or epoxy or whatever to use.
it should be most of all resistant. lightness is not primary....

if this is for a short term project, then painted plywood is good. if the
boat will be rubbing on anything, then add one or two thin strips of wood
to the outside to protect the plywood. make sure the edges of the plywood
are well sealed so they don't absorb water through the end grain. I'd only
cover with fibreglass for longevity. take a look at the Loonie and Delta
on my website (see below) to see what's possible. you have to know how
much weight the boat must float and calculate the volume of hull needed
to float that weight.

thank you for suggestions and excuse me for my bad english.
matthias

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm