posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Any pactor users here ?

wrote in :

Len wrote:

Hi,

I have a Icom 718 and a Pactor controller on board. Till now I used to
get my email and my gribfiles but this psk31 and cw are appealing to
me. Anyone here who got this going via the Pactor?

CU,
Len, pa2q

I've always wanted to try it

Dispite ham radio's LOVE of extra little boxes with fancy names, you don't
need any of that to operate PSK or CW. PSK comes directly from your
computer soundcard ready for insertion into the microphone jack of your
Icom. You don't need any "keying" circuitry, like you do on Pactor
kerchunking along wearing out the relays. All you need is a simple 10K
volume control pot to reduce the audio level from the soundcard output down
to a few millivolts if you use the mic jack to keep from overdriving
it....a 10 minute hookup. Just plug the sound card's line input into the
headphone jack on the radio to receive. You can key the radio manually
from the front panel for simplicity.

If the radio has a VOX circuit, set the delay time to zero and the
sensitivity to less sensitive than normal for voice so it doesn't key up on
any noise unnecessarily while receiving. The constant FSK tone will easily
hold the VOX circuit keyed during your transmission times.

For CW you need a pair of headphones and a KEY!

73 DE W4CSC.....since 1957 with various calls...