Sam

Default Questions about Fiberglassing Wood - OurBoat.jpg (0/1)

Matt Langenfeld wrote in message hlink.net...
ok let's not jump this guy and tell him he's wrong for wanting to do
this project until he has a chance to better describe his situation.

We could all be wrong here.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
I know how to estimate your glass requirements but it would be immoral
to tell you.

I will repeat: Fiberglass sheathing an older carvel planked hull is a
sure way to a quick death. It should only be done to squeeze an extra
few years out of a hull that is unsalvageable otherwise.

Allan H. Vaitses has a book called 'Covering Wooden Boats with
Fiberglass' which describes a process that does more than 'squeeze a
few extra years' out of a boat.A fairly common practice around here
for wooden shrimpboats is to clean up the hull,coat the hull with 5200
and imbed 24oz woven roven in that.Once that is set up it is saturated
with polyester resin and more layers of mat and woven roven applied.I
have a friend who covered a 55' three masted Herrschoff schooner(?)
with epoxy and glass and not because it was 'otherwise unsalvagable'
but for less maintenance.He put 2 blades on a skilsaw,reamed out the
seams ALMOST but not quite the full thickness of the planks,packed
them with some sort of thickened epoxy then glassed the whole hull, 20
some years
ago.I think a lot of problems with boats aren't neccesarily 'what' was
done but 'how' it was done.I'm not trying to start anything here, just
trying to explore the ying of the yang.