cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Cleaning and refinishing alum mast steps

Justin C wrote:
In article , cavelamb himself wrote:

I would think about it carefully before deciding to powder coat a mast.

Besides the simple logistics of an oven large enough, the issuese of
weight aloft and the coating chipping due to mast flex would be stoppers.

Best protection for aluminum is a two part primer followed by a topcoat.

I've always had good sucess with Randoplate or EpiBond for the prime
coat. Tehn paint as desired.

It's lighter, won't crack or chip, won't have little divits where the
coating didn't stick, and is most likely a LOT cheaper.

For what it's worth...

The OP wasn't talking about powder coating a mast, only the 2-part cast
aluminium mast steps that are bolted to the mast.

Justin.

Sorry all, I missed that. But I'll stick to my choice for aluminum
protection.

I've had serious trouble glass bead blasting epibond off of metals.

Gooooo-oood stuff!

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

The democracy will cease to exist when you
take away from those who are willing to work
and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson