Glenn Ashmore

Default Repairing weeping FG Diesel tank

Truelove39 wrote:

Hi Glenn,

I recognize your name from, I think, the old cruising group from mid
nineties...?

Yep, back in the old C-serve OLYC days.

Well, the tank is not integral; it was built and set into the eggcrate, so I
can't fix from outside without removing it. So, you're right, it must be fixed
from inside.

I wasn't assuming your tank was integral, just that the principle is the
same. Before I decided to build I looked at a lot of boats. Found one
with integral diesel tanks that had started weeping diesel from an area
a good 6' from the tank.

As posted as reply to Drew, resin is polyester, not epoxy; hopefully this
sloshing ariplane stuff will work.

That will probably be your only choice. It doesn't take but a single
pinhole in the gel coat for the fuel to get through. Then it will
search out the path of least resistance and follow it where ever it goes.

Nice website - hell of a boat. I have a lot of respect for you builders - you
build em - I'll sail 'em years later! I'm an engineer by trade; hate sticky
itchy stuff, but don't mind heat and grease! Always liked the saildrive - had
one on an O'Day 28 years ago.

Hope to see you cruising in the Eastern Caribbean someday...

Good sailing,

John

--
Glenn Ashmore