Jason

Default Questions about Fiberglassing Wood - OurBoat.jpg (0/1)

Hello all.

I had a few questions.
We just bought a 1973 Carver Mariner 28' flybridge sedan made of
mahogany on the hull and teak in the cabin. I was wondering if anyone
could help me out.

Here goes....

I was wondering if it is possible to strip down the paint from the
waterline and downwards to apply fiberglassing (cloth??, tape??) to
protect the hull from damage and to make the wood last longer. my
concern is of rot and such. will applying this fiberglass not allow
the wood to "breath" or could it hurt my boat in any way??

I'd like to hear any suggestions.

If its okay to fiberglass from the waterline down, could anyone
suggest how much epoxy to buy to do one or two coats and how big and
how much fiberglass cloth to use to do it?
This will be my first time using fiberglass and stuff on a boat,
actually this is my first boat.

Please any help would be appreciated including how to go about doing
this and where to find cheap fiberglass and epoxy in canada (I live in
Kitchener Ontario).
I've attached a photo of the boat so that you can get an idea of what
im working with, and can send more if anyone's interested.

The length of the boat is 28' and the breath is 10'2"

I also would like to know about which kind of paint to use, i have
heard of using high grade marine paint or antifouling paint. which
one do i use or do i use the marine and then the last coat
antifouling?

These are some of the issues i am worried about and would appreciate
any help, thank you very much.
-Jason.