Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default 50 footer ashore at Hatteras....

On 2008-11-19 23:25:56 -0500, Two meter troll said:

On Nov 19, 7:23*pm, Larry wrote:
Two meter troll wrote in news:393e56bb-0986-4e72-978

0-
:

dunno..... from the look of that boat; i would suspect not. if he is
lucky the storms will float him, if he is crazy he will be on the boat
ready to go when it does. if he has a tug set an pik for him *he may be
able to pull his boat off into better water with his anchor winch. I am
crazy so i would have a good pik set and be waiting for the storm.

I can't help thinking about those waterbags from the youtube video
hauling over the top of the mast when the tide comes in and makes the
sand fluid.

If you put a steady pressure on the mast to heel the boat over onto its
hull, that would start wiggling the keel buried deep to surface itself
of f to the side, putting the weight onto the hull. *Once the hull was
bearing the weight, on TOP of the sand, with the waves and tide
awashing it all, shouldn't a towboat be able to just haul her sliding
on her hull back into the water with a little pressure from a tugboat?

Might take a day or two for the pressure to roll her onto her side and
pop the keel free, but that sand awash like that gets soft and mushy
with all that wave action.

I would personally set my anchor winch with a low power pull for the
duration a tug would be in danger not only from the surf but from my
boat when it popped. better to take the risk on my self.

I sorta agree with both, but have seen a tower-friend dig a channel and
increase the depth at the same time with prop wash. He was sorta crazy.
Obviously did damage to impellers and pumps, and he rarely had paint
(or barnacles) on his props.

Don't know what the conditions were that put him on the shore, but the
conditions they last mentioned were strong from the NW, so blowing
water away. High tide debris on shore looks like storm conditions were
higher, but don't know what normal is there.

Also don't think that keel's going to come loose without some
mechanical help, but I don't know the sand on that shore. Am used to
the hard-pack on the Jersey shore that ain't going nowhere once it's
flowed around a keel.

--
Jere Lull