Backyard Renegade

Default Options for refastening a hull

"James Bullbrook" wrote in message m...
I'm about to start restoring a 1964 34' Chris Craft Constellation. I'm going
to start with the hull, which looks to be in pretty decent shape, but I want
to refasten and recaulk at least below the waterline. I've read Jim
Trefethen's book, and he suggests pulling the fastener, injecting 3m 5200
into the whole, and replacing with a slightly larger silicon brass screw
(one or two sizes up). He also suggests fastening the new bungs into place
with carpenter's glue and letting the paint seal them. Nowhere does he use
epoxy, in order to keep the hull flexible.He suggests recaulking the
traditional way, with cotton.
The Gougeon brothers suggest a totally different approach, where they call
for the existing caulking to be removed with a skillsaw, and then putting
thin wood splines that are edge-bonded with epoxy put into the gap, turning
the hull into one solid structure.
Needless to say, I'm confused, I only want to do this once, and I don't want
to screw it up. Any advice is apprecreciated.

Well I don't know the answer, but in a usual fashion I will get
sarcastic. Gougeon Bros are telling you to do a hell of a lot of work
there to use Epoxy that they happen to sell. Does Jim Trefethen sell
5200? The GB way just does not sound right, remove material to replace
with same material? Run a saw down all the seams, even the good ones?
Caulk a strake boat with epoxy instead of cotton? To me it just does
not pass the smell test, but then again, wadoino?
Scotty