Rufus Laggren

Default retabbing bulkheads on older FRP sail boat....

For quick and dirty where the tape is intact, only delaminating from the
wood and tape/hull join was still good Don Casey described the following:

- separate the tape from the wood fully with a flexible putty knife
- vacuum the slot clean
- apply 5200 into the slot; keep the slot open with a wedge ahead and
force the glue down with a thin "pusher" behind
- apply short sheet metal screws every 4" or so to pull joint closed;
optionally install screws over a batten
- remove screws when glue is dry

As I recall, he said the boat was still good 2-3 years later.

Rufus

Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:50:12 GMT, Jim Conlin
wrote:

What is meant by "panel support" [bulkheads ?] ?

Anything to provide additional hull stiffness and support; could be a
long shelf, additional framing under the V bearths, etc.

I once stiffened a flexible hull area by laminating vertical strips of
structural foam to the inside with epoxy and glass cloth. The whole
thing got covered by thin horizontal wood strips and looked quite
respectable.