Steve Lusardi

Default Fuel Tank Construction

Evan,
You are correct, but here is the rub. Diesel is hygroscopic and with tanks
this size water, being more dense than fuel oil, will settle at the bottom
and EAT the aluminum pretty damn quick.
Steve

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in message

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Wayne, you are talking about a reasonable effort and significant cost
regardless of the material chosen, Do not use aluminum, it is far too
reactive. Do not use gavanized steel. The diesel will disolve the zinc.

The
ultimate material should be 316TI SS and next best would be mild steel
blasted and painted with the special Permatex tank paint. This paint is
designed for large storage tanks and must be ordered specially. I just
finished 2 water tanks slightly smaller than yours in stainless and the
material cost was $3200 and that included access hatches.
Steve

Commercial small / medium size vessel practice is usually aluminum or mild
steel. I don't see using plastic tanks, the size you are suggesting is
pretty big for plastic of non cylindrical shapes.

Saying aluminum is "too reactive" isn't really true. The only problem

with
aluminum is if the tank is let to sit with moisture trapped against it.
Stand-offs or similar methods to keep any condensation from the skin of

the
tank is a good idea.

Mild steel is generally not painted inside and the steel tanks do last at
least 20 years (the diesel on the inside tends to give a nice coating).
That said you can coat the inside of steel tanks for additional

protection.

No I wouldn't use stainless steel - generally weld cracking can occur with
the thin plates of tanks. If you do go S.S., I would probably select

316L,
which is a low carbon version of 316 that is suited for welding. Much
better for corrosion than 304. But it's a pretty big price premium for
doubtful benefit.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)