posted to rec.boats.building
Derek J Decker Derek J Decker is offline

Default Pontoon Boat Conversion to Sailboat

In message 1 - Jim Willemin
writes:
:
:
: On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:22:43 -0600, lowe210 wrote:
:
:I know this is an out-of-the box type question, but has anyone had any
:experience with or have any ideas or comments on the thought of taking
:a standard aluminum pontoon boat and rigging sails on it?

snip

:
:actually, the more I think about it, the more I'd be tempted to try a
:lateen rig on a bipod mast (one leg on each pontoon gets rid of the
:support problem). One thing you don't mention is if you intend to
:retain any superstructure (sunshade, specifically) while under sail.

When I was a lad, the family had an Aqua Cat catamaran daysailor. It had a
single mast attached to a crossbar between the two hulls at the bow, and
supported by a bipod amidships. The sail was loose-footed.

There's a picture of this rig at

http://www.americansail.com/images/s...uacat14_1.html

and at other places on that website.

It seems to me that a rig like this could be fitted to a pontoon boat pretty
easily. Might even be effective.

-Derek