Rod McInnis

Default Can I use Solid wire for rewiring sailboat if not WHY?

"dazed and confuzed" wrote in message

if a connection is properly engineered, I.E., the terminal and wire are
sized correctly, the breaker is sized correctly, and the post that the
terminal is connected to is the correct size, then the solder will not
melt before the breaker trips.

AND both the wire and terminal were properly heated to the proper
temperature during soldering (no cold joints) AND the connection was free of
contaminants ( no old corroded wires or terminals)

In general, solder should not be used as a means of mechanical connection.

I am not familiar with the various codes and standards related to boats. I
am familiar with various codes and standards as related to standard industry
and household, primarily Underwriter's Laboratories (UL) and CSA. For these
safety agencies, no primary wires may be secure by means of solder alone.

Solder can give you a superior connection over crimp. In the event that the
connection is bad, however, a soldered connection can deteriorate very
quickly.

Rod