posted to rec.boats.electronics
bob baldwin bob baldwin is offline

Default Question about NMEA

Larry wrote:
Bob Baldwin wrote in news:491ddacd$0$5476$bbae4d71
@news.suddenlink.net:

I have just wired a new Humminbird GPS to my old Raymarine RL70c
radar, and everything is fine, so far. I also have on order a fluxgate
compass that I plan to wire to the second NMEA input of the radar. The
radar is designed to handle two NMEA data inputs, but will there be any
kind of conflict between the two inputs as it applies to MARPA? I want
the radar to be able to track thunderstorm direction while I'm fishing
at anchor. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

bob baldwin
bryan, texas

Nope. They work fine......as long as you don't input TWO instruments
putting out the SAME data...slightly ajar...which makes everything jump
around like crazy...(c;

The fluxgate statements are completely different than the GPS statements.
MARPA will use what it wants and ignore the rest. The RL70's display WILL
respond to the nice fluxgate's DIRECTION information when the damned boat
is still and no GPS direction data is valid. It's smart enough to know
when....near zero speed...to use the difference.

By the way, GPS output to anything else from here will have BOTH GPS and
fluxgate data statements on it IF YOU TURN THEM ON from the GPS menu tree.

Lionheart has an RL70CRC with the same inputs. Our GPSes (2) are switched
so only one can be on the line at any one time....just a little mini toggle
switch.

Thanks for the answer - good info! I have searched for NMEA problems and
solutions, but have never found this particular question asked. The GPS
will come from an aux output from the Humminbird 997c fish finder. If
necessary, I can easily disable GPS out from it's menu, leaving the
compass to talk to the radar while checking for storms in the area.
Thanks again - most appreciated!

bob baldwin
bryan, texas