posted to alt.sailing.asa
Marty[_2_] Marty[_2_] is offline

Default Nautical question #5

Charles Momsen wrote:
"Marty" wrote in message
Charles Momsen wrote:
Nope, you just passed my test. Great job, but your explaination could
have been a bit simpler by pointing out the torque vector is an imaginary
convention (the forces involved in it are orthogonal to the vector which
is a result of cross product operation), whereas thrust is a real force.
Well done Ian!

Tell you what, hold out your arm, I'll clamp a 48" monkey wrench down on
your wrist, then we'll hang a 30 pound weight at the distal end of the
wrench, this will produce an "imaginary" torque of 120ft-lbs on your
wrist. Then you can tell us if it's a real thing or not.....

The torque vector is an imaginary convention. The forces are not. Just what
I said and what you don't understand.

So sorry Chuck, I guess was really responding to the first line of your
original question "The torque of a clockwise rotating system is into the
paper or away from the viewer along the axis of the system." Here you
are clearly talking about a real torque, not some mathematical construct.

At any rate, it was not meant to be taken seriously,,, has everyone
lost their sense of humour?

Cheers
Martin