Dave W

Default Stitch and glue canoe; scarf or butt?

I have used a joint that Dynamite Payson developed. It calls for making a
butt joint by scarfing both sides of the stock and using epoxy/glass for the
joint. Lay the pieces on a flat surface in position. Mark the length of
the scarf on both ends. Grind half way through both pieces where they meet
and tapering to nothing at the ends of the scarfs. This results in a
shallow vee spanning both pieces. Fill the vee with glass cloth, roving and
epoxy. When set, grind the epoxy surface flat. Now, carefully turn the
assembly over and make another vee just like before. Fill vee as on the
other side. This makes a very strong joint and if done carefully is not
detectable (if painted). Email me if the method is not clear.
Dave
"Chalatso" wrote in message
. ..
Graduating to my first multi-sheet stitch-n-glue... butt joints with

blocks
are ugly, scarfing will throw off my sheet layout. Can I use a plain butt
joint, supported on both sides by glass and epoxy?

Chuck