BAR[_3_] BAR[_3_] is offline

Default Political: Let em fail

Boater wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 14, 3:12 pm, tin cup wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
The Dems want to give 25 Billion to their friends at GM while GM
builds the worst sorta crap I have ever seen. Their unions and
management deserve to fail for giving us such garbage. They have
designed the worst sort of vehicles that nobody wants when gas prices
are high and their quality is still on the bottom. The unions priced
themselves out of work and the management allowed short term thinking
that produced the gas hogs they cannot give away. No bailouts for
Bull****.
The Unions didn't do squat.
The bean counters and Wall Street's demand for maximum spread and
gambling did them in along with the rest of us.
How come you idiots keep blaming American workers whether they are in a
union or not. Obviously you are running a quicker mart or whatever and
paying your wage slaves 7.50 an hour no benefits and fire them before
6 mos.

Labor costs are a big part of gm's problem. Unfortunately the unions,
in their zeal, helped cause the problem. I mean let's face it, where
else besides auto plants could you get $25 - $30 dollars an hour for
semi-skilled labor. And the retirement programs are turning out to be
extremely costly. They were not based on your condtributions into an
account like today. They were fixed payouts based on your years of
service. A lot of those semi-skilled laborers retired at a fairly
young age and many get $50k or more a year in retirement.

What's your point, that a representative of assembly line works met at
the bargaining table with the employer of those workers and negotiated a
contract?

Negotiated a contract? I don't believe that for a minute.

That's the way it is supposed to be.

Who are we going to threaten with a strike this year?

The fix we are in right now has nothing to do with union workers and
everything to do with the landed aristocracy in this country of Wall
Street financial manipulators and corporate executives, and the
hands-off regulatory style of the Bush Administration. Even now, the
crooks in the Bush Administration won't tell us who is getting the
bail-out money.

It has to do with union labor.