JAXAshby

Default Can I use Solid wire for rewiring sailboat if not WHY?

sevie, you do NOT solder connection (in the context of boating), for soldered
connections fail. you crimp connection, then solder if you are looking for
corrosion protection

From: (Steven Shelikoff)
Date: 5/31/2004 7:05 PM Eastern Standard Time
On Mon, 31 May 2004 20:19:50 GMT,
wrote:

On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:05:11 GMT,
(Steven Shelikoff)
wrote:

Meanwhile, for those not completely glazed over - soldering boat wiring is

the
absolutely wrong thing to do. This is nothing new. Try to find a new boat

(ONE
boat) wired from the factory using solder. You won't. HINT: It's called

"product
liability lawsuits".

Wrong. It's called "skilled labor intensive", which costs a whole lot
of money. If you're claiming it's because of product liability
lawsuits, you should be able to find an example of a boatmaker being
successfully sued because of soldered wiring that followed the ABYC
rules.

You aren't very bright, are you? Companies do things to avoid product

liability
suits. If they know something will potentially cost them more that they save

by
doing it, they don't do it.

Talk about not being very bright, that statement makes no sense because
either way they go, soldered according to ABYC rules or crimped, there
is no danger of product liability lawsuits. The only danger of lawsuits
to them is if the wiring was not done properly, either soldered or just
crimped.

Even if product liability was an issue, that statement would only make
sense if they were doing something more expensive in order to avoid the
expense of a product liability lawsuit. That's not the case here, where
they're doing something less expensive and product liability lawsuits
are not a factor.

Did you find any lawsuits due to soldered connections that meet ABYC
rules? Didn't think so. They don't solder because it costs them more
money to solder.

I'd love to see that.

Please provide me with an email contact at ONE boat manufacturer that will
confirm that they use solder for wiring boats. This can be ANY manufacturer,
including those who build multi-million dollar custom yachts where cost for
something like this is not a consideration at all, and if it was better in

some
way, would be used as a sales tool and touted as a feature, and advantage

over
the competition. Just one will do...

Specious, since I'm not claiming that boat manufactures use solder in
their general wiring connections. In fact, I would be very surprised if
any do so since it so much greater in skilled labor cost. I'm saying
that it's perfectly ok to do so if the joint is properly done and
supported, and will not cause your boat to fail an insurance survey as
you have claimed.

Let's see here, on one side we have the unsupported ramblings of an
anonymous poster saying that soldering wiring joints is a no-no in all
circumstances. On the other side we have the ABYC rules, NASA specs,
noted authors such as Nigel Calder, and every marine surveyor I've ever
dealt with who have no problem with properly soldered wiring.

Until you can find just ONE cite supporting your claim that properly
soldered wiring (meeting ABYC rules, NASA specs, etc.) will cause your
boat to fail an insurance survey and cause you to have to rip out all
the wiring and replace it before being allowed into a marina or yacht
club, I think the informed reader can make their own decision as to
who's just blowing smoke.

Again, anonymous poster vs. ABYC, NASA, Calder, etc.

Steve