posted to rec.boats.electronics
Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default NOT giving up my paper charts

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:04:29 -0800, John Navas
wrote:

Consider getting better gear.

I think most think about an upgrade all the time. The exception being
those who can easily afford the good stuff, and already have it.

My gear doesn't fail,

You obviously are not superstitious, or you wouldn't attract trouble
by saying that.
including a
handheld mapping GPS that's now several years old.

That might not be bad. There is a GPS in the Navigator that only knows
from street addresses. It simple will not tell you the lat and long.
Its not _quite_ useless.

I've largely
abandoned paper charts, with a sigh of relief. I've been on boats where
all the paper charts got wet and ruined.

I am considering some coastal cruising. Down the river from Iowa, ICW
and so on. So how much per hour do paper charts cost at 30 MPH?
I have a 22 foot boat, and paper looks like major pain. If you have a
big chart table that's one thing.

Casady