William R. Watt

Default Stitch and glue canoe; scarf or butt?

"Chalatso" ) writes:
Graduating to my first multi-sheet stitch-n-glue... butt joints with blocks
are ugly, scarfing will throw off my sheet layout. Can I use a plain butt
joint, supported on both sides by glass and epoxy?

yes. however I don't find butt blocks ugly. the ones on my Dogskiff are
beautiful, traditional, functional, and cheap. edges tapered with a sander
before installation. traditional clinched copper nails. lauan underlayment
plywood. a thin line of epoxy applied to the exterior seam with a
toothpick to keep moisture out of the join. interior finished clear with
cheap linseed oil. photos on my website under "Boats".

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm