rhys

Default Can I use Solid wire for rewiring sailboat if not WHY?

On Thu, 27 May 2004 18:12:42 GMT, "MMC" wrote:

Rhys,
Have you come up with a model/plan for your LED lighting?

No, not other than replacing the cabin "spot" lights (the ones
primarily for reading placed over berths and so on) with the bayonet
style LEDs that cost $19 but are alleged to last 100,000 hours (I may
not last that long, so it's good to go for me!)

There was a guy
some time ago (in this newsgroup) who had used 12vdc LED trailer lighting (I
believe from JC Whitney) in his boat. It gave an amber glow and was mounted
under the decks on either side of the cabin. Looked good. That msg string
included some very high tech-high price options.
I might get string of those LEDs and experiment....

I think that's a great idea. Area lighting and spot or purpose
lighting on a boat are two different things. Generally, I have little
use for the former: if I have people over for drinks and nosh, a few
candles and maybe a kerosene lamp provide all the light and
"atmosphere" I require. Essentially, I am talking about cabin spots
for reading and maybe for the nav station.

Using LEDs for running lights is still an unknown quantity for me,
but I am considering equipping my Zodiac tender with an LED tricolour
run off the Honda OB alternator (magneto?), all of which is 12 VDC.
As I am under 10 HP, I don't legally require nav lights, but I prefer
to be seen as I use the calm late nights to plane around Toronto
Island, which is heavily trafficked with "disco boats".

R.