Tom Francis - SWSports Tom Francis - SWSports is offline

Default Hey Wayne...

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:47:58 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:40:26 GMT, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:

Ever mess around on 60 meters?

That's a very interesting band - in particular the beacon operations
in the UK.

No but I guess it would be possible given the continuous tuning of the
rig and antenna on the boat. Is there any info on the web?

20 meters was pretty good yesterday around lunch time - easily worked
Texas and Michigan, even heard a station in Italy for the first time
in several years but he was generating a massive pileup. My 150
watts PEP and 21 ft tuned whip just don't cut it against an armada of
shore stations.

Now don't go nuts on me, but years ago I had a Radio Shack "Base Station"
CB radio. I bought it because it was easily "peaked up" to about 30 watts
PEP on sideband, and a few other illegal modifications. On quiet Sunday
mornings I could occasionally talk to a guy in Italy from the south shore of
MA using it and a "Big Stick".

Nothing wrong with that. It's one plus of the no-code license now -
all the CB'ers with the technical knowledge can move to the ham bands
quickly and easily.

Last night after I shut the cmputer down, I was messing around on 30
meters - one of my favorite bands and I heard a Maritime Mobile call
on the lower end of the band. I tried him out, but while I could hear
him, he couldn't hear me much at all - my wires weren't oriented
correctly and I was end on to him (I found out eventually).

So I took the cover off the home brew "california kilowatt" amp which
uses a Yaesu 500 watt amp as an exciter, warmed it up, tuned it and
got him just fine when I switched over to my Butternut vertical.

Turns out he was a Brit on his way to the Falkland Islands on a stop
over to Antartica on a research vessel.

Damn I love CW. :)