Tom Francis - SWSports Tom Francis - SWSports is offline

Default Hey Wayne...

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:43:43 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:40:26 GMT, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:

Ever mess around on 60 meters?

That's a very interesting band - in particular the beacon operations
in the UK.

No but I guess it would be possible given the continuous tuning of the
rig and antenna on the boat. Is there any info on the web?

Yep.

http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2003/07/02/1/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/60_meters

20 meters was pretty good yesterday around lunch time - easily worked
Texas and Michigan, even heard a station in Italy for the first time
in several years but he was generating a massive pileup. My 150
watts PEP and 21 ft tuned whip just don't cut it against an armada of
shore stations.

Odd that the DX'ers who are prefix hunters can hear November Mexico in
the middle of a massive pile up. :)

One advantage of a call like mine - it's now a rare one.

One time a IOTA expedition to Fiji popped up on 20 meters and as usual
there was a huge pile up. I stuck my call in a couple of times, got
him on the third try and as I cleared, I heard my call - "Down 5".

So I tuned down five, put my call out there and guess who pops up -
9N1MM - Father Moran himself. I moved the TH-11 a couple of degrees
North and had him solid - almost FM quality. He asked me to pass a
message to a priest in Boston, got the message and signed clear, there
was a HUGE pile up - everybody moved from the Fiji operation.

He was still there an hour later working stations like there was no
tomorrow.

I got a very nice letter from him along with the QSL card which is one
of my all time favorites.