Boater Boater is offline

Default Why won't Harry shout out about the unions?

BAR wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message

Are you trying to convince us that your union construction crew bent
and fabricated the SS tubes, and formed the "perfect" panels of
curved glass on site? I don't believe it.

Or did they simply install them, supplied by a manufacturer?

Eisboch

BTW Harry, I am in no way inferring that union welders/fabricators are
inferior to non-union.
I am simply stating that they are not necessessary superior to
non-union, which is the case you keep trying to present.

I have quite a bit of experience with requirements for high quality
welding. The stainless steel or aluminum vacuum systems we built had
some of the most vigorous welding requirements in the trade.
They had to be leak tight to atoms of helium, drawn through voids or
inclusions or diffused through the welds by vacuum. Helium is number
2 on the periodic chart, meaning the atoms are very, very small.

Anyway, once in a while we would have a contract that required a "U"
stamp or in a couple of rare cases, a "N" stamp, meaning our welders
were certified for nuclear work. We didn't have any "N" stamp
certified welders. One project required it for a subsection (not the
entire structure), so we subcontracted to a "N" certified union welder
in another shop. The finished piece was received and, as required by
the contract, sent out for x-ray. It flunked.

So, we subcontracted another one. Same thing. It flunked. The union
shop attempted to repair it without success ... flunked x-ray again.

Meanwhile, there are excuses flying around like mosquitoes in July.
Time was ticking and it was costing money.

We then had one of our very good, non-union welders go to the union
shop to witness the welding process on the forth attempt to build the
subsystem. One thing led to another (old history, not worth bringing
back up) but it turns out that our welder was quite a bit bigger than
the shop's union welder. Our guy grabbed the torch and spent three
days welding up the assembly.

Shipped it out for x-ray.... passed with no problems.

You need to talk to my wife about welding and porosity of materials. She
eats, sleeps and dreams that stuff.

Mrs. Bertie the Plumber?