Jim Conlin

Default Stitch and glue canoe; scarf or butt?

Another consideration is how the boat will be finished. If it's to be bright
(varnished), then a carefully done scarph is the best choice. If painted, a
taped butt, as at http://www.instantboats.com/images/buttjoint700.gif , is
OK. I'd suggest cutting the cloth on the bias, so that all of its threads
cross the joint.
With a little practice, the scarph takes less time.

Chalatso wrote:

Graduating to my first multi-sheet stitch-n-glue... butt joints with blocks
are ugly, scarfing will throw off my sheet layout. Can I use a plain butt
joint, supported on both sides by glass and epoxy?

Chuck