Tom Francis - SWSports Tom Francis - SWSports is offline

Default Fishing (was political)..

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:40:39 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"Boater" wrote in message

Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:

Same over in Narragansett Bay by the bridges. With the right wind,
these dummies get tossed around and sometimes into the bridge pilings.

As you said, no thanks.

Woosies! :)

I admit that I am not much of a fishing nut. When I do go, I'd much rather
troll slowly around the shore or rocks for stripers if in the small boat.
To me, blues are nothing but a pain and a waste of time. I know people
enjoy catching them on light gear because of the fight they put up, but
after a few times it gets old to me. I don't eat them, so there is no point
in catching them.

I just don't get a thrill of sitting amoung half a dozen or more other
boats, bottom fishing while bouncing and rocking for hours near a bunch of
bridge pilings. Much rather be underway and trolling or, if in a bigger
boat, go well offshore and either drift fish for cod or troll for tuna.

32 miles straight out from Scituate in 260 feet of water is a verrry
productive cod fishing day. Two or three trips will supply several families
fresh and frozen fish for the summer and following winter.

Fishing, in general, is a kind of odd sport. There are divisions
within divisions and sub-sets of divisions and sub-sets of sub-sets
and endless techniques for all types and classes of fish.

For example, drifting open water is not my thing. Nor is sitting on a
rock pile or open beach area. I much prefer moving in and around
structure, anticipating school movement and hunting, if that's an
applicable word, for bigger fish rather than schoolies. When I did
some tuna fishing, I was bored silly. I mean catching tuna seemed
like a brute strength sport and frankly boring. Give me a big blue
fish on a light rod - now that's my idea of fun. Or a three pound
smallmouth on an ultra-light rig.

My gear is pretty universal - I range from medium heavy to ultra-light
spinning rigs (both fresh and salt) and have a few bait casters in the
same categories. I believe in big baits for big fish and tend to
stick with that even to the point of using large and very light lures
for the ultra-light gear. Fly fishing, I tend to the medium to heavy
forward weighted sinking lines 7 foot rods with heavy sinking lines
with large flies and streamers on light weight tippets. For trout
fishing, it's small rods 5 1/2 foot, extremely light weight lines and
large imitations. I have a color preference too - I tend to like
green, blue and/or brown lures for all circumstances. I like to use
yellow. blue or the new camouflage color lines.

A typical trip for me is fairly well pre-rigged. I set up what rods I
think I'll use, select a line color or colors and pre-rig all the rods
with a different selection of lures so that I'm set and ready to go
when I get to where I'm going. I will take along a set of
pre-selected lures for change outs, but that's not typical - I
generally go with what I brung and pre-rigged.

Other guides I know do the complete opposite - they will work with one
type of rig, sit for hours on one type of structure and tend to work
with one type or category of lure. It works for them. I know other
guides who come to a trip with a complete tackle shop in their boats
or cars and are constantly mixing and matching rods, reels, lines and
lures.

When you multiply all the different types of fishermen against all the
different techniques against all the different specialties (trout,
fluke, blue, tuna, yada, yada, yada), it's fairly well endless.