QLW

Default Can I use Solid wire for rewiring sailboat if not WHY?

I refuse to get into useless debates based on absolutely ridicules
assertions...so I'm going to stop right here and avoid the name calling that
usually comes next. But I can give many examples that will prove the
statement below completely unfounded. I solder all of the wires on trailers
that I build (and I build a lot of them) and they are subjected to lots of
movement and vibration and never fail. Sometimes the wires will get pulled
apart but not the soldered joint. Huge numbers of soldered electronic
equipment in high vibration service routinely last a lifetime without
failure. The mechanical connection is far more likely to loosen, that's why
we have loctite and NyLocks. Anyway, my participation in this thread is
ended. It is obvious that Jax is more interested in "winning arguments"
than in meaningful posts and in reading some of his past posts, name calling
is next.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
Would you mind explaining exactly how a solder connection fails "under

high
load conditions"

when the connection is soldered it lacks mechanical integrity. solder is

soft
and any chance of movement -- any, even walking on a floor near the

equipment
in a building -- loosens the connection until it eventualy fails. Even if
after soldering the connection is clamped TIGHTLY with a mechanical clamp

it
eventually fails.

If the connection is FIRST clamped TIGHTLY mechanically and _then_

soldered for
corrosion protection all if right and holy.