Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default night sailing mistake

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 12:10:29 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 13:02:09 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 10:19:28 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

Sounds like a good time to have light gathering binocs.
I think Wayne can make a reco on that.

Good 7 x 50 binoculars are hard to beat when you really need to "see"
something at night. Our radar and chart plotter(s) are the primary
lines of defense however. First Loran-C, and now GPS and
chartplotters, have made navigation so easy that it's hard to believe
we ever blundered around with out it. When we first started cruising
back in the 70s it was not unusual to sail all day without a reliable
confirmation of the DR plot. At least once or twice a season a small
boat would emerge out of the haze, out of sight of land, pull along
side and ask for directions to somewhere. Typically they wouldn't
even have a compass or chart on board.

Agree about having GPS, but I thought you had some "night vision"
binocs. Something akin to what the military uses.
If I did night sailing inshore I'd probably foot the bill for a pair.
Have you tried out that type?

My wife bought me one of the relatively inexpensive "Generation 1"
night vision devices a few years ago. You can get them for about
$300. I'd have steered her away from it if I'd known what she was
planning because there were negative reports. It actually works OK
using the built-in IR illuminator but that only goes out 100 ft or so.
Beyond that I find old fashioned 7 x 50 binocs to be more effective if
there is any light at all to work with. The best use for the Gen 1
equipment would be something like close in surveilance work, not
piloting a boat.

The really good night vision gear that the military uses are the so
called "Generation 3" models which cost about $3K and up. By all
reports they are very effective and I'd probably buy a set if I spent
more time running at night. We have very good radar and chart
plotting systems however and for the few times that we run at night
they are quite adequate.