jamesgangnc jamesgangnc is offline

Default Actual boating question!

I've gotten it from walmart before but not consistently. Lowes has it in
the power washer section.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Nov 6, 5:57 am, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:59:52 -0800 (PST), wrote:
Ok, boats... I'm retrofitting my 1976 Chrysler 75hp outboard with a
used tilt/trim unit. Hooked it all up, figured out the hydraulic
lines, followed the procedure... Filled it with 30 w non-detergent
motor oil. I run the unit up and down several times, all seems to be
working OK once the cylinders filled with oil and purged the air.

Opened the reservoir to check the level, a bunch of foam spilled out.
Drained the oil. Refilled. Ran it. Same result.

Am I doing something wrong? Is a certain amount of foaming normal?

Any suggestions? Experiences?

Thanks

30 weight motor oil? Um...no?

Get a couple of quarts of hydraulic oil.

Motor oil?

A lot of older tilt/trim units did in fact use 30W.

Yup. And try to find the non-detergent variety. It's often used in
pressure washers as well.
I remember going to AutoZone looking for 30W ND and the guy at the counter
had never heard of it.

Eisboch