jamesgangnc jamesgangnc is offline

Default Actual boating question!

Most any light to medium weight oil can be used in hydralic systems. The
non-detergent is because of the proximity to water, detergent oils attract
water. Foaming means air is still mixed in it. Let it settle overnight and
top it off. It might take a little while to get all the air out of the
system but once it is out the foaming will stop.

"Terry S" wrote in message

30 weight motor oil? Um...no?

Get a couple of quarts of hydraulic oil.

Motor oil?

The service manual specified 30 w non-detergent motor oil. The
reservoir only holds about 6 ozs...

Yeah, I know there is tilt/trim fluid and various hydraulic fluids...
all of which are oils... asked my hydraulic guy at work, he said motor
oil is fine. Haven't asked him about the foaming issue yet. I read
last night that some of the tilt/trim fluids have an anti-foaming
agent added. I'm not opposed to trying one of those.

Terry.