Boater Boater is offline

Default Thank you, my fellow Americans!

Really. The throbbing headache (figurative, of course) I've had for the
last eight years is beginning to subside, and I expect it'll be entirely
gone by the end of the third week of January 2009.

I don't have a long shopping list of "must-do" items for the incoming
president, and the ones that involved $$$ will have to be phased in
because of the lousy economic conditions. I'll be more than satisfied to
see the following measures that will have little negative impact on the
federal budget:

1. Shutting down of the Gitmo GULAG and either trials or release for the
remaining prisoners.

2. A swift winding down of our war effort in Iraq, and a ramping up of
our support for the Afghanis and the search for Osama.

3. Restoration of full diplomatic relations with Cuba.

4. Reaffirmation of habeas corpus.

5. Serious curtailment of the more onerous attacks on civil liberties in
the Patriot Act and ancillary measures.

6. Less confrontational and "righteous" foreign policy.

7. An end to the possibilities of weakening womens' reproductive rights.

8. A leveling of the playing field between employers and unions.

9. More serious enforcement of safety and environmental regulations.

10.An end to tax breaks for corporations that export manufacturing jobs.

And a year-long commission to establish parameters for a health
insurance program that includes all Americans who need access to quality
health care.