Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Obama as president: The Commander and Thief

On 2008-11-03 11:36:43 -0500, Lord Nigel Molesworth
said:

In article ,
"KLC Lewis" wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Seems pretty obvious from the language you quoted that what the U of C
Law School does is call their part time instructors "Professor" once
the instructor gets elected to public office. Why in the world would
they do that? Duh...

My Lincoln reference seems quite apposite.

Seems pretty obvious to me that their definition of "Professor" is
entirely in keeping with the dictionary:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professor

Hmm.. I didn't know that there are different criteria for that
appellation depending on where you are, viz UK it is necessary to have
a PhD and tenure to have the title 'Professor'.

Not necessarily. PhD is of course desired by the colleges/universities
for bragging rights, but is by no means required.

"Professor" merely is another name for college teacher, and there is no
regulation of the term but the politics of the school. Teachers have
requirements mandated by the local or state governments.

And there's a sub-class of Professor: Adjunct professor. No
qualifications required other than a willingness to work for less than
minimum wage. Friend of mine never went to college, worked as an
electrician for most of his career. Towards the end, wrangled a
political appointment as a building inspector which he parlayed into a
"Professorship" at the local college.

That said, some of the better profs I've had over the years were
part-timers who made the bulk of their money out in the real world,
where they had to demonstrate competence.

--
Jere Lull