Alisdair Gurney Alisdair Gurney is offline

Default Boothbay Me Unusual Tide Changes

"Roger Long" wrote in message
This is certainly the strangest confirmable marine event I've ever heard
of. More pictures he

http://www.wcsh6.com/includes/tools/...?storyid=95015

Damage is worse than any storm in memory. Since it's my former hometown,
it is especially interesting.

Local sources do not indicate any seismic activity but there may simply be
a lag in reporting. A similar but smaller surge was reported in Cundys
Harbor. Both places are similar in having configurations that could
magnify surge effects and also in that both are more active at this time
of year than other nearby areas where surge might simply not have been
observed.

The Coast Guard says surge from a storm at sea but I give that no
creedance. The effects would be over a much larger area or these events
would be more common. My guess would be a large but slow underwater slide
of bottom sediments that didn't create much seismic vibration but sucked
the water down. It's still early though and more widespread damage
reports may come in. The geologists may also look back and find an event
they would have overlooked if not for the land reports.

Add another to my long list of reasons to prefer being anchored out than
tied to a dock.

What, anchored in the same stuff that's sliding?

Alisdair