DK DK is offline

Default Fixer upper or leave’r in the scrapyard?

dEdEyE wrote:
Greetings, I’m new here and would greatly appreciate some advise. I
do not know very much about boats or sailing but the only way I can
afford to get started, is to spend as little money and as much time
as I can. That being said, I have discovered an old fiberglass
sailboat and trailer in a scrapyard down the lane from me. Its about
22’ long and what one notices immediately is that the keel is badly
damaged. The fiberglass has major cracks on both sides, indeed a
section (5" x 7") of bare metal is exposed, showing the hard foam
cross section. Consider also that there is a crack almost all the way
around where it joins the hull and the bottom of the keel is broken
from resting on the trailer. I have not been able to inspect the
inside of the hull yet, but knowing about the keel alone, is it even
worth moving the boat down the road to my house? I have more time than
money, I just want to know if this is worth the time.

Thanks for reading,

dEdEyE (Colin)

Post links to some photos and you will get a response before Harry turns
it into a political thread.