Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Boothbay Me Unusual Tide Changes

This is certainly the strangest confirmable marine event I've ever heard of.
More pictures he

http://www.wcsh6.com/includes/tools/...?storyid=95015

Damage is worse than any storm in memory. Since it's my former hometown, it
is especially interesting.

Local sources do not indicate any seismic activity but there may simply be a
lag in reporting. A similar but smaller surge was reported in Cundys
Harbor. Both places are similar in having configurations that could magnify
surge effects and also in that both are more active at this time of year
than other nearby areas where surge might simply not have been observed.

The Coast Guard says surge from a storm at sea but I give that no creedance.
The effects would be over a much larger area or these events would be more
common. My guess would be a large but slow underwater slide of bottom
sediments that didn't create much seismic vibration but sucked the water
down. It's still early though and more widespread damage reports may come
in. The geologists may also look back and find an event they would have
overlooked if not for the land reports.

Add another to my long list of reasons to prefer being anchored out than
tied to a dock.

It's not the first Boothbay Harbor mystery I've heard of. In 1973 (or close
to it), a small research vessel simply disappeared. Witnesses reported it
rounding Small Point at the proper time and one said they saw it turn around
and head back out. No radio calls, no debris, nothing.

--
Roger Long