Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] is offline

Default Boothbay Me Unusual Tide Changes

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 21:22:48 -0400, hpeer wrote:

I saw this posted on another site I frequent. Anyone here know anything
about this?

October 30, 2008
BOOTHBAY HARBOR, Maine—Meteorologists are baffled by rapid tidal changes
along the Maine coast, which damaged some boats and piers.

Witnesses say low tide turned and became high within a matter of minutes
on Tuesday afternoon. The changes occurred six or seven times. The
National Weather Service says reports from several locations indicated
that water levels fell and rose from 4 feet to as much as 12 feet during
the event.

In a public information statement, the weather service says the cause
"remains a mystery and may never be known."

It said significant rapid rises and falls in tide levels were observed
around 3 p.m. in Boothbay Harbor, Southport and Bristol. The statement
said rapid surges can be caused by the underwater movement of land, most
often due to an earthquake, or due to slumping of sediments along a
steep canyon or shelf, but no earthquakes were reported in the area Tuesday.

A similar event occurred on Jan. 9, 1926, in Bass Harbor, the statement
said.

I can't speak for Maine but that is what happened during the sunami
here in Thailand. First the water goes out.... way out and then it
comes back with a vengeance. In protected areas there were what
appeared to be several rapid tide changes with essentially the usual
depth change, say 2-3 meters.

However, if that was what happened I'm surprised that the earthquake
people didn;t record a disturbance.

Bruce-in-Bangkok