FishWisher FishWisher is offline

Default Fishing and boating the California Delta (OT??)

On Oct 31, 3:04*pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
wrote in message

On Oct 31, 8:04 am, FishWisher wrote:

On Oct 30, 6:41 am, wrote:

Dale, what is that canal used for?

It was dug off Old River for farm irrigation - or that's what I've
been told. There are irrigation pumps along the canal for pumping the
water over the levees, so that make sense.

Dalewww.FishWisher.com

Cool, from your pics it looked like a pretty good sized canal so I was
curious if it was for irrigation or barges to something or what.

It may have also been for barges. *Sugar Cut is a lateral canal to Grantline
and that went to the Spreckels Sugar Beet plant.

I wouldn't doubt that barges (and perhaps more) plied the canal. The
nearby plant is a Holly Sugar plant, Spreckles is no more and was in
Manteca, a nearby town. A shopping center sits on the old Spreckles
site. (I used to haul sugar and molasses out of that plant years ago.)
Lots of ferries plied the delta years ago, hauling all kinds of farm
products. Here's a grand site for learning about the California Delta:
www.californiadelta.org

Dale
www.FishWisher.com