posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Southbound Swan 44 lost off the New Jersey coast along with owner/skipper

One lost, two rescued, USCG Rescue Swimmer injured.

The boat, Freefall, was owned until recently by well known Long
Island Sound racing sailor, Bill McFaul, whom I raced with and raced
against any number of times. Apparently the new owner was taking the
boat south this week in some pretty gnarly conditions. The boat was
well built as you might expect for a Swan 44, and always well
maintained and equipped when I sailed on it.

https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/651/236966/

Reading the USCG account of conditions, you have to wonder what the
heck they were thinking of going out there. Tragic. At least they
had a working EPIRB, properly registered.