posted to alt.sailing.asa
Marty[_2_] Marty[_2_] is offline

Default In the Navy!

Charles Momsen wrote:
wrote in message
"Charles Momsen" wrote:
....... The Knox class was the first
class designed to withstand the blast of nuclear depth charges.

I dunno if I'd take that statement too seriously. As a strategic
countermeasure to the Soviet Navy's overwhelming number of subs at the
time, they were designed to deliver nuclear depth charges with a
possibility of surviving. The InSurv board had quite a lot to say on
the matter.

During sea trials they were shock tested with 4,000 lbs (4 kT) of explosive:

http://www.ussknox.org/knox_statistics.htm

The ASROC had a 10,000 lb (10 kT) yield:

'scuse me,,, 10,000 lb is 5 T, 10 kT is 20,000,000 lbs, small difference.

Cheers
Martin