[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Deals on bluewater boats yet?

ray lunder wrote:
Looking for a used cruise equiped 30-40 foot sailboat for approx a us
buck per foot. Any ideas? Techniques? I've tried 38/48 north and
craigslist so far.

Try Ebay

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/_Sailboats__sailboats

Most of the "asking prices" and/or reserves are on the high side (by a
lot), but check closed sales on boats similar to what you like.

I think you can find a wide variety of good deals but it always takes
dilignce to seperate a really good deal from a cheap boat that ends up
being a bad deal.

.... To cruise equip a boat at present "boatyard" or "west marine"
cost is prohibitive.

In that case, you should examine the strong possibility that your eyes
are bigger than your wallet. If you can't afford to outfit a boat the
way you want it, what makes you think you'll be able to afford to
maintain it? Either set your sights on a smaller boat or a simpler fit-
out.

And as always, time equals money. The more time & effort you put into
hunting for bargains among good equipment, and rebuilding & installing
it yourself, the less cash you have to lay out. And of course, the
less time you have for sailing.

.... You'd think with all these bank problems people
would be forced to sell luxury items.

The only people "forced" to sell are the ones who can't afford the
payments, and they probably didn't buy the kind of serious cruising
boat you're looking for. OTOH it may be rewarding to look around among
bank seizures, although banks are notorious for setting unrealistic
asking prices for houses, cars, boats, etc etc that are upside-down
with regard to market value versus outstanding loan balance.

.... Please don't let this degrade
into a political thread, I just want to buy a boat. What's a person
with ready cash to do?

Look harder & in more places.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King