Tim Tim is offline

Default re powering a pontoon, now decking material selection

On Oct 29, 2:33*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:19:11 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Well guys. I passed on the pontoon. I went and looked at it in better
light and I had cash with me, and glad I didn't bite on it. The owner
said he wouldn't be there, but I could help myself to looking at it in
his machine shed. The pontoons were good looking, but I noticed that
even with the trailer sitting of flat and level concrete, I noticed
that one pontoon was actually higher than the other in the front and
lower in the back. I crawled underneath it and saw a slight wrinkle
about mid way back on one of the tubes. *I then noticed on the
"Hoosier" style trailer that somebody had done some welding on the
frame, and a slight bend (more like a dent) in the front axle. Oh,
they did a good job *welding on the frame, but I noticed that it
looked like they had taken a torch to heat the axle to straighten it
back out and where the damaged tube was, there was also a new tire and
rim. even though I didn't see any damage to the bottom of the tube,
like a heavy scrape or gouge, *it hit me what probably happened.
Either a wreck from the tire blowing, and causing a semi roll-over, or
they hit something pretty hard, and it took out the tire and rim and
bent the axle. thus putting a wrinkle in the tube. Granted, this was a
stolen recovery vessel and it looked like it would have been a good
deal, especially since I had a spare engine to replace the one that
was stolen. *I wouldn't mind building the boat from the floor on up,
and outfitting it the way I wanted, but that's too much damage. *So,
It wasn't the bargain I thought it would be, so I walked.

Good call.

In this market you should be able to find a better deal.

One thing that will bend an axle is dropping a wheel off in a culvert
and having the axle hit the end cap.

agreed.

Anywho damage was done and noticed.

Yep, as winter comes on, there will be others. I'm giong to keep my
eyes open.

I did see an OK 26' pontoon complete with single axle trailer and 30
hp Johnson go on eBay for a BIN of $2100.00 . The seats were so-so but
it had a next to new (according to description) folding bimini top.
The guy said the only reason he was selling it was because he bought
another boat so it had to go. Sorry I couldn't have checked it out.
it was just 50 m. away too.