Old Nick

Default Geodesic Airolite Boat with a twist

On 13 May 2004 21:30:34 -0700, (G D Wright)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:
uncap my header address to reply via email

Ok. If you accept the building method of a skin over a frame, why not
build "gluelam" ribs and avoid the bending woes? AFAIK, gluelam is
actually stiffer than bent wood anyway. And no breakage. No troubles.

Snowman,

Having built 4 or 5 of Platt Monforts ultra light canoes, I have a few
observations:

The concept of Kevlar wrapped foam ribs would probably be do-able, but
I guess I'm wondering what you hope to gain. Are you trying to make it
stronger? lighter? I'm wondering, how much weight can you expect to
save on a 14 pound boat? If the only reason is to avoid the heartbreak
of broken ribs during construction, it hardly seems worth the bother.

As for bending the ribs, I'll share my secret recipie. First, you must

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of
the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted
child would do this?"....the internet seems full of
them. It's very sad