no onecares no onecares is offline

Default New generation of anchors

I'm curious, as I'm trying for the same setup now that I'm cruising,
and the scraping chain is a pain. Once you run the "hook line", there
is spare chain that will be looser than the line, doesn't it just
bang against the side of the boat?

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:11:01 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:44:33 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I will state that the CQR has also held very reliably once set properly.
I've ever ridden out a 72 kt storm at anchor in Honduras that bent the
anchor roller like a pretzel. The winds blew 40-50 kts for 20+ minutes and
the storm lasted about 2 hours in total. When I looked at my instruments
later, I saw a max wind speed of 72 kts! See
http://www.geoffschultz.org/2002_Sai...n/P6040586.jpg for
a photo.

Ouch.

We use a "hook line" on the chain to take the strain off the anchor
pulpit and roller. The hook line also acts as a shock absorber since
it is 3-strand nylon with a bit of stretch to it. The hook line runs
through a deck chock (hawse pipe on our boat), and then to a cleat.