Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default New generation of anchors

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:44:33 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I will state that the CQR has also held very reliably once set properly.
I've ever ridden out a 72 kt storm at anchor in Honduras that bent the
anchor roller like a pretzel. The winds blew 40-50 kts for 20+ minutes and
the storm lasted about 2 hours in total. When I looked at my instruments
later, I saw a max wind speed of 72 kts! See
http://www.geoffschultz.org/2002_Sai...n/P6040586.jpg for
a photo.

Ouch.

We use a "hook line" on the chain to take the strain off the anchor
pulpit and roller. The hook line also acts as a shock absorber since
it is 3-strand nylon with a bit of stretch to it. The hook line runs
through a deck chock (hawse pipe on our boat), and then to a cleat.