Jim

Default US occupation of Iraq unsustainable over long run, Congress warns

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Read the paper much Chuck? The Bush administration has asked for the UN to
get
involved in the peace keeping efforts in Iraq, with most of the US troops
withdrawn
within 2 years.

The effort will of course be thwarted by France and Germany.

Must be a different paper than you read.
I see where Bush's request for assistance is conditional: The UN must
acknowledge that the US is the sole, supreme, and final decision maker on all
matters having to do with Iraq and all troops will be under US, not UN command.

Of course it is conditional. Why should we have the UN lead the effort? Based on the
way they handled things before the war we would be crazy to have them in charge with
this initiative.

Funny, first you complain that there there is no plan. A plan is developed and you
complain about *it*.

There is no pleasing you Chuck.

How could we possibly get out in two years if we have a coalition force to
command? If our GI's take off their camo helmets and put on blue ones instead,
are we suddenly "out of Iraq"?

I never said the plan called for a full withdrawal of troops. I said most would be
withdrawn. I guess you somehow missed that.

Would that be the same France and Germany which told Bush "We will not join
your invasion to search for weapons of mass destruction, we're not at all
convinced these weapons exist and we prefer to persue the matter through the
United Nations"? The same France and Germany which were insulted, publicly, by
almost every right winger in the US-from the highest levels of the State
Department to truck stop waitresses renaming French Fries on the menu?

Yes, the same France and Germany who were selling weapons and goods to Iraq. That
would be them Chuck.

Every right winger? When are you going to stop with the generalizations? And why are
you so bitter all the time?

Odd. 90-days ago, the UN was "irrelevant."
How quickly things can change.

Nothing has changed. They remain irrelevant as far as decision making goes. But they
are relevant in their ability to serve as a neutral entity to join the peace keeping
forces as one.