Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Rachel Carson trip update

Thanks for all the interest in the long thread below.

We left Weatley able to hear the wind howl and the surf as we boarded the
boat. We were almost immediately in a very snotty Lake Erie heading
straight into it. Although we experienced zero G's a few times that boat
did great and conditions steadily improved. She is very quiet and smooth.
Once the the wind got down to a bit under 20 and we used up some of the long
fetch, she felt like a much larger vessel with the engines sounding a long
way behind us.

We made it through the Welland Canal in record time with every lock and
bridge opening just as we reached it. In view of a rough forecast for Lake
Ontario, we decided to use the time saved to rest up. The forecast was
wrong and we had a great run down the lake arriving mid day. We spent the
afternoon lowering the mast, taking off the tops off the exhaust stacks for
bridge clearance, and refueling.

We're now tied up in front of Best Western and got rooms for the night and
are about to go out for dinner.

The weather report is for heavy, steady rain and possible snow for the next
few days. It isn't going to be much fun standing out in this stuff tending
lines as we go through the locks.

--
Roger Long