Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Samsung garbage, not again...

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 07:16:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Buyer Beware
Too bad I didn't research this product before shelling out $400 at
Best Buy. It died after 5 weeks. I can't return it to Best Buy after
thirty days. I went three weeks before Samsung replaced the
motherboard. It failed again. We haven't had a television again for 3
weeks. Now Samsung says it needs another motherboard. Samsung won't
replace it, or say that it's unfixable. I don't want it replaced with
the same television even if that were an option. I've never had a root
canal (as one reviewer wr...
[Read 's Complete Review for Samsung 27" SlimFit Tube TV (TXT2782) at
Amazon.com]

Speaking of that, when I bought my first 19' CRT monitor at Best Buy,
I bought a 2-year replacement warranty. The monitor, a KD, was about
$425, and the warranty was only 25 bucks.
I usually don't get these warranties, but thought the exceptional
price spread justified it in this case.
The monitor died at 23 months.
I hauled it to the store and after a little argument about what
"replacement" meant, walked out with the Samsung after paying
about 50 bucks for the difference in list price.
I got the same warranty again, but it cost me about 75 bucks.
Guess they were learning their lesson.
And I wasted 75 bucks this time.
I always ask what they want for the replacement warranty when I get
items like this. Usually they don't make financial sense, but
sometimes they do.

--Vic