posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Sailing is DEAD

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:47:20 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 07:38:49 -0500, "jlrogers±³©"
wrote:

Former sailboat owners tell why they switched to powerboats and how much
they enjoy them.
http://www.motorboating.com/articleH...?ID=1000065935

All of the people I started sailing with and sailed with for years
have, for one reason or another, switched to power.

Frank

What reasons did they give?

Various. Closest friend moved to Boca Raton because of his job,
bought a place on a canal that leads to the ICW, has a fixed bridge
between his place and the ICW, so power makes more sense to him.

Additionally, when we both lived on the Gulf there were many
destinations, remote and beautiful islands, anywhere from eight to
twenty miles from the dock. Not so where he is now, much further to
decent destinations.

Another friend took up fly fishing, both fresh and salt and bought a
flats boat for that purpose.

Some just admit they've gotten lazy or don't have the time for a six
knot mode of transportation however pleasant.

Many started out racing club or GORC, don't want to commit to go out
regardless of the weather as they get older.

Frank
I've had a couple of friends who've done the
same or are contemplating it, despite the high fuel prices. Basically, it's
a matter of convenience and a better get-there speed for them.