Meindert Sprang

Default Resins, Fillers and glues

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
All of this is probably well known to most ppl here but is new to me.
In making my two Mini-Cups, I have experimented with various glues. I
just cannot resist the temptation to do somethign a different way.
So, here is my opinion.

Gorilla Glue: fairly easy to use requiring no mixing. It has less
strength than epoxy and as been stated by others, no ability to bridge
gaps with any holding ability. It really needs a tight fit.

Stay away from anything like these PU glues. To make a good bond, you need a
clamping force you will never be able to apply on a boat. 60-80 psi is quite
difficult to apply over a long seam.

West Epoxy: Convenient with the little pumps for mixing, holds really
well and bridges gaps. Very expensive and no matter how much of the
colloidal thickener I use, it sags and starts to run before it sets.

You are using the wrong filler here. For gap filling use microfibres. And
epoxy is not that expensive. It is only a part of the total buiding cost.

Conventional Fibreglas resin (the stuff that stinks): Not too bad to
work with, not sure of its abilities as a glue, havent tried it as a
filler, reasonably inexpensive

You're talking about polyester here. Stay away from it for glueing.

Seriously, do yourself a favour and use epoxy. Once you get the hang of it
in using the pumps, stirring it properly and adding the right amount of
filler, you'll never want to use something else.

Meindert